Skip to main content

For Whom the Bell Tolles

I listened to an interesting interview with Eckhart Tolle on the "The John Murray" show yesterday. Though I was indeed already aware of Eckhart Tolle as one covering similar ground to Chopra - and who is now arguably more successful and influential - I had never actually heard him speak.

On the merit side he came across as genuine and sincere probably helped by his Germanic accent lending an appropropriate touch of gravity to his words.

He spoke about his "conversion" experience at 29 which undoubtedly deeply shaped the rest of his life.
I agree fully with the central basis of his teaching which is the spiritual realisation that only the present moment truly exists. So the secret of deep happiness and fulfilment is to simply learn to live in the continual now of the present moment. I would also agree that the ego in practice is the big obstacle to such realisation with both thought and sense predisposing us to make absolutes of phenomena (which in truth are of a merely relative and ultimately illusionary nature).


However having said this I would have definite reservations with his position. For I believe Tolle (though it may not be his intention) is in fact selling another illusion i.e. that awareness of the true nature of reality can somehow be easily attained.

Perhaps it is just my own hobby horse but I have always found that a major weakness in the position of those advocating spiritual emptiness is that it is rarely properly integrated with phenomenal understanding of form.

In human experience form and emptiness are always necessarily related to each other. Indeed the appropriate experience of form is vitally necessary in fully embracing deeper levels of emptiness!

Therefore the true task is not the surrendering of the ego (with its investment in varied rigid forms); rather it is the difficult developmental task of progressively engaging with a more refined appreciation of form so that it can thereby become compatible with an ever deepening realisation of emptiness.

So I would see that in our age of instant gratification, the very appeal of Tolle's message for many readers is the unjustified belief that spiritual awareness too can be simply achieved.


The spiritual journey is unique for each person where personality characteristics and former experiences play a key role. So some people do indeed appear to find the task of finding true awareness much easier than others.

However accepting the key reality of how the limited ego blocks true freedom of spirit, reform is likely to prove somewhat problematic.

My own experience is that it resembles the peeling of an onion (where the core can never be finally reached). One peels back one layer of the ego enabling a new appreciation of the eternal light only to find new unrecognised layers now impeding reception. So one never can - or even should attempt to - fully surrender the ego. Rather one may through appropriate development, continually attain a more refined appreciation of its nature that can thereby become properly integrated with permanent awareness of the ever present reality of spirit.

A particular barrier to this attainment of spiritual awareness in society is posed by the very nature of our scientific understanding of reality (which in many ways fosters a mental outlook that is incompatible with the spiritual vision).

And as mathematical closely underlines scientific understanding I have always seen my own particular calling in terms of a deep need to develop a more comprehensive approach to both mathematics and science. Thereby both can be made properly compatible with the unfolding of spirit throughout the various stages of contemplative (and radial) development.

Central to this approach is that understanding itself has an infinite number of dimensions (that become ever more refined through spiritualisation).

Thus there is not just one valid overall interpretation of science and mathematics (as represented by the conventional rational outlook). Rather a potentially infinite set exists combining both reason and intuition in increasingly refined configurations.

And for someone pursuing a genuine contemplative path these alternative interpretations become especially appropriate.


Thus belief in the dawning of a new spiritual age (when we at last unmask the folly of the ego) is naive and utopian.

As we face into major environmental and social crises this century (that I fear are inevitable) we will see - at least among some - major shifts in consciousness. However the clash with old ego based beliefs is only likely to intensify rather than recede. This is not to suggest that there is no reason for hope and optimism. Rather it is pointing to the fact that authentic spiritual development is a slow process that can only be properly secured through overcoming many difficulties.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Richard Dawkins: An Appetite for Reductionism

I completed recently the first part of Richard Dawkins' Biography "An Appetite for Wonder: The Making of a Scientist: a memoir". In fact - due to its ready availability in my local library - I had read the 2nd part "Brief Candle in the Dark" earlier. In many way I found the first part more interesting as it provided insight into how Dawkins  came to adopt his particular view of science. Though some might describe his earlier life in Africa as idyllic, I would not see it that way. Certainly it provided a range of interesting experiences, but it seems to me have been a somewhat unsettled and lonely existence. This was compounded by the fact that Dawkins comes across as an unusually sensitive child with a very trusting nature. And this trust was severely tested as he tried to adapt to the many uncertainties of his world. It is very revealing in this context that Dawkins frequently admonishes his younger self for his "childhood gullibility"

Return to Alagoa

I have always enjoyed short holidays as a welcome break from the daily routine. Even the negative experiences that inevitably occur while away can enable one to forget normal concerns. For many years now I have been accustomed to visit the Algarve, usually west of Faro near Albufeira. However this year I was based on the eastern side close to Faro in Olhao.   The only other time I had been on this side was some 21 years ago when I stayed in a small seaside resort, which at that time was known as Alagoa (now Altura). I do not remember a great deal regarding that previous visit. However the opening day still stands out in my memory (but alas for the wrong reasons). Though due to depart on an early morning flight there was a significant delay (of 90 minutes or so before boarding). When eventually boarding commenced, I asked a flight attendant the reason for the delay and was told that it was due to a tyre puncture. When we were all seated another significant de

Overwhelming Gratitude

I mentioned before in a previous blog entry " My Prayer " how a return for funeral to the seaside town Portstewart, some five years ago was associated with an important mystical experience. Just recently, I had cause to return again to Portstewart to attend the wedding of one of my northern relatives. On this occasion, as I strolled down the promenade with my sister, I was filled with an unexpected sadness in the mourning of my two parents (who had always accompanied me as a child to Portstewart on holiday visits).  I was filled with an ardent longing to see them once again and reminisce about former times, which of course was no longer possible. However as I experienced anew how much they had meant to me, slowly the feeling of grief turned to an overwhelming gratitude for the wonderful gift of life, which I owe to my parents. And in my heart I now said repeatedly "Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for everything, for the uniqueness of this life, the profound