Skip to main content

Varying Manifestations of Union

As I look back I can see that my views on perfection in earlier years were unduly idealistic.

I would have believed at that time that human perfection in the pursuit of spiritual union was indeed possible and that many shining examples can be found in the various mystical traditions of special individuals who already realised such union to a profound degree.

Though still in a certain sense believing that the pursuit of a high degree of union is still indeed attainable for certain individuals I would no longer associate such attainment with human perfection (which does not in fact exist).

So it would now be my view that even the greatest of mystical exponents would have suffered from many human faults and imperfections (and indeed in some cases glaring imperfections). Indeed without a keen existential realisation in the personality of the existence of severe limitations the very attainment of union would not be possible.


Not surprisingly I have been drawn over the years to the spiritual superheros of my own christian tradition. However putting it bluntly I always found a lack of true honesty in the accounts of such individuals. The standard hagiographic practice unfortunately is to start by admitting that these saints were keenly aware of their own sinfulness (as the least of humankind) and then to proceed to objectively portray them as without any blemish.

Indeed something of the same practice characterises the process of canonisation of saints in the Catholic church.
Personally I think it somewhat ridiculous to create a process whereby one is deemed a saint if found free of any severe natural failing. It is even worse as the very desire of "backers" to have their chosen hero deemed a saint creates a strong unconscious bias against honestly confronting criticism that might be deemed unacceptable of sainthood. This is not to suggest that certain individuals can indeed reach advanced levels of sanctity. However this is always in the context of human imperfection. Indeed the two are ultimately inseparable. It is only through a keen realisation of one's human imperfection with the ongoing attempt to freely accept its necessary existence that one can attain a high degree of sanctity!

I feel pretty sure that if more was truly known about what was really going in in the lives of many of the most revered saints that we would be shocked to see so much human failing. However from my perspective this would certainly make the process of recognising sanctity much more authentic!


Recently I have come to the conclusion that the process of achieving spiritual union - even when authentic - can often remain largely confined to limited areas of the personality. And the very attempt to then maintain union can in certain circumstances lead to other weaker aspects of the personality remaining largely undeveloped.

Most people grow up with specific talents as personality features (that thereby give confidence and are viewed as strengths).
The desire then to attain authentic degree of spiritual union can be built around achieving a very high degree of integration and fidelity with respect to these strengths.

For example in my case I would see the greatest asset as a willingness to follow personal convictions and to unceasingly question all conventional truth. So when this quest brings me into conflict with accepted notions, I conscientiously follow my own lights.
Attempts at achieving union have followed a unique course requiring me to constantly re-evaluate received wisdom.
In this respect I would say that I have attempted to maintain the highest standards with respect to truth (sometimes at considerable personal cost). However I can see that other areas of my life have remained relatively undeveloped e.g. in a manifest concern for the rest of humanity and a willingness to help the less fortunate where possible.

Perhaps this could be explained in terms of the analogy of fire. In other to achieve union certain materials need to be closely integrated and heated to eventually achieve a blaze that will transform them into pure energy. However meanwhile in the same fireplace other materials may remain separated and never achieve much heat. So these materials to a considerable extent can remain unreformed.

Now to maintain the blaze it is necessary that additional material be constantly added. However if these materials are largely in the same place where the blaze is already occurring, the fire of transformation can continue without separated materials being involved.

In a similar manner, someone who has advanced to a high level of attainment with respect to certain limited aspects of personality development may remain and even advance at this level while other important features of personality remain largely untouched.


Now there is a sense in which a blazing fire will inevitably spread so that all - initially - separated material eventually becomes consumed in the blaze. Likewise with the greatest of mystics though initially attaining union through their strongest personality characteristics a high level of integration would eventually have spread to all aspects. Such a form of union is inherently more dynamic and tends to continually accelerate transformation.


However having said this it is possible for example to reach a high degree of contemplative union (based on one's personality strengths) without this quickly affecting the rest of personality.

Nor is such union confined in any way to those who are conventionally religious but may occur where both a great motivation is present and an unusual integrity with respect to truth maintained (in the context of using one's key talents and strengths)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Richard Dawkins: An Appetite for Reductionism

I completed recently the first part of Richard Dawkins' Biography "An Appetite for Wonder: The Making of a Scientist: a memoir". In fact - due to its ready availability in my local library - I had read the 2nd part "Brief Candle in the Dark" earlier. In many way I found the first part more interesting as it provided insight into how Dawkins  came to adopt his particular view of science. Though some might describe his earlier life in Africa as idyllic, I would not see it that way. Certainly it provided a range of interesting experiences, but it seems to me have been a somewhat unsettled and lonely existence. This was compounded by the fact that Dawkins comes across as an unusually sensitive child with a very trusting nature. And this trust was severely tested as he tried to adapt to the many uncertainties of his world. It is very revealing in this context that Dawkins frequently admonishes his younger self for his "childhood gullibility"

Overwhelming Gratitude

I mentioned before in a previous blog entry " My Prayer " how a return for funeral to the seaside town Portstewart, some five years ago was associated with an important mystical experience. Just recently, I had cause to return again to Portstewart to attend the wedding of one of my northern relatives. On this occasion, as I strolled down the promenade with my sister, I was filled with an unexpected sadness in the mourning of my two parents (who had always accompanied me as a child to Portstewart on holiday visits).  I was filled with an ardent longing to see them once again and reminisce about former times, which of course was no longer possible. However as I experienced anew how much they had meant to me, slowly the feeling of grief turned to an overwhelming gratitude for the wonderful gift of life, which I owe to my parents. And in my heart I now said repeatedly "Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for everything, for the uniqueness of this life, the profound

Return to Alagoa

I have always enjoyed short holidays as a welcome break from the daily routine. Even the negative experiences that inevitably occur while away can enable one to forget normal concerns. For many years now I have been accustomed to visit the Algarve, usually west of Faro near Albufeira. However this year I was based on the eastern side close to Faro in Olhao.   The only other time I had been on this side was some 21 years ago when I stayed in a small seaside resort, which at that time was known as Alagoa (now Altura). I do not remember a great deal regarding that previous visit. However the opening day still stands out in my memory (but alas for the wrong reasons). Though due to depart on an early morning flight there was a significant delay (of 90 minutes or so before boarding). When eventually boarding commenced, I asked a flight attendant the reason for the delay and was told that it was due to a tyre puncture. When we were all seated another significant de